Re: RARA-AVIS: New Woolrich anthology

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 29 Apr 2005

It was quite good, as most of his short-story collection tend to be...however, I'd recommend picking up a copy of NIGHTWEBS over NIGHT AND FEAR. An earlier collection, NIGHTWEBS is really the definitive selection of Woolrich reprint-shorts published thus far (perhaps someday some wise, enterprising publisher will publish a multi-volumes COMPLETE SHORT STORIES OF CORNELL WOOLRICH) and, best of all, it was recently re-released by Orion in TPB as part of their Crime Masterworks series. It's readily available (and cheap) at Amazon.UK and I've seen it here in the States at several bookstore chain, including discounted copies at Half Price Books.

After that, NIGHT AND FEAR makes a nice companion piece.

Ron C.