RARA-AVIS: Right Madness

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 19 Apr 2005

In The Right Madness, Sughrue's close friend, psychiatrist Will MacKinderick, begs him to track down stolen confidential psychoanalysis files-he suspects one of his patients is the culprit. Going against every last instinct, Sughrue agrees to take on the case-a $20,000 retainer is always hard to resist. And when the suspects start dying of violently unnatural causes, Sughrue-fueled by alcohol, drugs, and lurid sexual entanglements-finds himself struggling to stay ahead of the madness unfolding around him.

The Right Madness (Hardcover) by James Crumley

Hardcover: 304 pages Publisher: Viking Adult (May 5, 2005) ISBN: 0670034061

>From Booklist
"I'd been older a few hours ago, but now those Scotch-Irish redneck genes had taken over. Plus a couple of Vicodins. I was a fistful of random trouble again." There's no doubt who's talking: got to be C. W. Sughrue, Crumley's aging, perpetually pickled, still-crazy-after-all-these-years sleuth, on the warpath again. It wasn't supposed to be this way, C. W. keeps telling us, as he chugs the pills, inhales the weed, and swills the booze across most of the western U.S. in search of . . . well, what exactly? We don't know, that's for sure, and it's anybody's guess if C. W. does. It all starts when Sughrue's Montana pal, psychiatrist Mac, hires him to find out who stole the shrink's computer disks, containing confidential details about his clients. Soon, though, those clients have begun to die in incredibly gruesome ways. The plot doesn't thicken so much as congeal, but anyone who reads Crumley knows that storyline is only an excuse to get our ol' boy on the road and on the juice. Yes, it's starting to sound a bit too familiar, but there's something about C. W.'s unrepentant thirst (both for booze and vengeance) and his willful foolishness, his absolute inability to do the sensible thing, that makes him stand out in a genre on the verge of being taken over by reformed drunks and socially responsible adults. This is character-driven fiction for those who want no part of designated drivers. Bill Ott Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM