RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Vicki Hendricks, guest of honour

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Apr 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, vhend1234@a... wrote:
> Hi, Max,
> Thanks for the new listings. Funny thing about the H's. Without
getting into
> a debate, how are you separating the hardboiled women from the
noir? Who is
> on your noir list?
> Vicki

Hi Vicki,

I agree with a number of the distinctions that have been made here between noir and hardboiled. Noir is dark; the noir character is screwed. I'd also say that in noir the character did not go "looking" for trouble, but it found him/her anyway. Which is why I would put most police procedurals and PI novels more in the hardboiled category
(of course there's no reason why they can't be in both). They both seem to share a certain attitude towards violence and the violent and harsh nature of the world. I think hardboiled is also more often about working class people and uses colloquial language (another distinction that's been made here). That said, many authors seem to work in both areas. So Dorothy Hughes' RIDE A PINK HORSE (about a criminal on the lam in Mexico) but IN A LONELY PLACE is more purely noir. Patricia Highsmith (another H) wrote some excellent noir novels but I wouldn't call any of them hardboiled. Helen Nielsen is another excellent author who worked in both hardboiled and noir. Margaret Millar did some fine noir. Vin Packer is also more noir, and one of my favorites.

A couple Hughes novels have been reprinted recently by the Feminist Press in an imprint called "Femme Fatales: Women Write Pulp." Some of the other books they have look interesting and may be noirish--such as Evelyn Piper's BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING (the movie version was pretty dark).

Max

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM