RARA-AVIS: Vicki Hendricks and Miam Purity

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Apr 2005

I think I sent a no-mail mail again. Sorry. Same reason--I'm at a keyboard not my own.
--------------------- I'm impressed with the level of participation on the part of Ms. Hendricks.

I have read Miami Purity, and I was very impressed. Ms. Hendricks seems to capture the soul of the woman alone who wants to "get out of the life."

Not only does she create one great character but three--each trying to get what he or she wants most. Ironically, it is only difficult for the protag. To others, live is life in the me-me-me sense.

The ending of this particular noir does not kill off the protag or send her to jail, but it does leave her with that "screwed" feeling.

I have to admit that I had a bit of trouble getting into it. When I finised the book, I went back to the beginning to try to find out why. I hate to admit it, but it was lack of sensitivity on my part.

The protag is trying from page one but I was looking for action--what I was getting was a great character portrayal.

The noir world needs to know of Vicki Hendricks.

Jack Bludis

Shamus and Anthony nominee http://www.jackbludis.com
"Shadow of the Dahlia" now at BN.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM