Re: RARA-AVIS: RED HARVEST article

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 28 Feb 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vince Keenan" < vpkeenan@hotmail.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 10:37 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: RED HARVEST article

> Salon features an article by Allan Barra on Hammett's RED HARVEST, which
> is
> called "one of the most influential American novels of the 20th century."
> Barra focuses on the many aborted attempts to bring the novel to the
> screen
> and the surprising number of unofficial adaptations, the most recent being
> HBO's DEADWOOD.

Here's what I just emailed to Allan Barra regarding his article:

I'm not sure I get the connection, plot-wise, between Red Harvest and Deadwood. Milieu, yes. Corrupt sides in opposition, yes. But from there? I've been in almost every episode and I've yet to see the central protagonist in Deadwood (who would be who? Bullock?) play the two sides against each other in the manner of Hammett (or even Kurosawa or Walter Hill -- who coincidentally directed Deadwood's pilot). Bullock, now the sheriff, has had comparatively little interaction with one side of the pair of whoremasters who run the town (Tolliver). I'm glad for the publicity for the show, but I just don't see the connection, beyond the western mining town with venal antagonists.

By the way, it's not The Bad Sleep Well that Kurosawa adapted from an Ed McBain novel. It's High and Low (Tengoku to jigoku), based on McBain's King's Ransom. The Bad Sleep Well is much more closely akin to Hamlet.
(But that's another article, I guess.)

Jim Beaver

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM