Re: RARA-AVIS: Macdonald on BLACK MONEY

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 06 Feb 2005

I was very interested in what Macdonald had to say about Blue City and Black Money, as I happened to read them both at about the same time. Thanks for the quotes, Rich.

In fact, I picked Blue City to read as it was the earliest Macdonald I had on hand. As it turns out, it was the first hardboiled novel he wrote.

It is quite different from the Lew Archer books. First of all, Lew Archer isn't in it. The narrator, Johnny Weather, is just out of the army. His mother has died and he has returned to his hometown to seek out his father, whom it hasn't seen in a decade. One of the first things he hears is that is father is dead, having been shot a year or so earlier. The killer was never caught. Also, his father left a very young widow.

So off he goes to find out who killed his father and why. Along the way, he uncovers corruption from the mayor's office on down through the police department, and his father was in the thick of it. His father was a good man in many ways, but there's no getting around the fact that in other ways he was very bad. For example, he was generous and helped many people. At the same time, he kept the unions out of town, thus keeping down wages and maintaining poor working conditions.

Many of the characters are a mix of good and evil, doing evil to achieve a "good" result. Yet most of the crimes are still based on self-interest.

This book employs a different level of language than The Chill or Black Money (both novels with a university backdrop). Johnny Weather meets a lot of regular people in bars and on the street. There's a lot more slang and some cruder language than in the other books. But it was published in 1947, so there's no comparison with contemporary writers--no F word, for starters.

The plot was fairly convoluted and moved right along. I thought it was a good read, if slightly old-fashioned.

My edition, a 1986 Bantam pb, shows Judd Nelson and Ally Sheedy in "a major Paramount picture."

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM