Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Politics

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 20 Jul 2003

Jack Bludis told us:
> Wambaugh is definitly anti-facist in his
> approach. He seems to hate dirty cops--at least
> through the few books that I remember.

Here's where I insert my newspaper clipping. My apologies to those who've read it elsewhere: As the Harrisburg Patriot-News noted on June 19, 2003, while discussing the case of yet another convicted murderer who is apparently innocent:
    "[State Trooper Jack] Holtz retired under fire from the state police in 1992 after evidence from another murder trial was found by a man removing trash from his
[Holtz's] house.
    "Among the material was a letter from author Joseph Wambaugh offering
$50,000 for the inside story on the case of Upper Merion High School principal Jay C. Smith, who was convicted in the murder of English teacher Susan Reinert and her two children. The offer was contingent on Smith's arrest.
    "Smith was released from death row by the state Supreme Court, which found the prosecution in the case had acted so improperly during the case that to try him again would amount to double jeopardy."

Isn't that obstruction of justice or the like?

Joy