RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Politics

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Jul 2003

I see Yuri's point about police procedurals being more Leftist than Faschist because *most* procedural cops follow rules or bend them occasionally.

Jim Doherty gives us a list of cops who definitely do not fit the leftist mold, but I think Jim tries to equate the writer's politics with his books.

Wambaugh is definitly anti-facist in his approach. He seems to hate dirty cops--at least through the few books that I remember.

Dirty Harry and Bullit are cops, but their stories are *not* police procedurals but about the renegade cops and they follow the PI formula more than the general police procedural.

I compare Dirty Harry to Matthew Scudder--the main diference is that in his stories, Dirty Harry still had his badge. Their approach is virtually identical.

Now, using the visual medium again, the lead Character in "The Sheild," is not just Facist, but a downright Nazi.

Yuri explained that police procedurals are leftist in that the follow, for the most part, the rules of society.

Where do I stand on this?

Most often, on topics like this, I agree with Jim D. But with this one, I agree with Yuri.

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com