RARA-AVIS: Re: Prather and Spillane

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 18 Jun 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario Taboada" < matrxtech@yahoo.com>
> His [Prather's] fiction is exagerated without being exploitive. Because
> of his underlying irony, his fantasies are harmless.
> Whether they were harmless in their day, I cannot say. I
> doubt that Spillane's brutal exercises were harmless, for
> example.

Okay, I'll bite. How do you know that the moronic minority who might have been influenced by Spillane's over-the-top misogyny, sadism and general right wing antics, didn't find his "brutal exercises" therapeutic? I find it difficult to conceive of books as harmful. Perhaps when used as missiles...

Al