Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Prather and Spillane

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jun 2003

Al counters:

<<Okay, I'll bite. How do you know that the moronic minority who might have been influenced by Spillane's over-the-top misogyny, sadism and general right wing antics, didn't find his "brutal exercises" therapeutic?>>

I will propose Polanski's _The Pianists_ as an example of what certain Germans found therapeutic...

<<I find it difficult to conceive of books as harmful. Perhaps when used as missiles...>>

Of course a book can be harmful. Particularly when a person gets inspired for it *and* knows nothing about taking responsibility for his own actions. Propaganda works on this principle.

I will always defend freedom of expression, included the press, but bad ideas are much more dangerous than bad actions. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), it's common that bad ideas only reveal themselves as bad when some time has gone by. Since the same happens with good ideas, it's a bad idea to prohibit or limit the expression of ideas, period. But that doesn't negate the possibly devastating harm that bad ideas can have.

I propose the past two centuries as an example (of the results of bad ideas). History is full of them. In modern times, ideas have been contained in books more often than not. Now they're mostly contained in the show, which includes most books. The ideas are now images.

Best,

MrT