RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #51

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 20 Feb 2003

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 06:02 AM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:

> And to make it clear, at the risk of repeating myself,
> I'm not saying that every crime film since 1962, even
> the ones self-consciously using noir visual
> sytlistics, has been bad. Or even that they're not as
> good as "classic noir." All I'm saying is that
> they're not really film noir.

Some of us who are less knowledgeable, and therefore tagging along breathlessly here, may be getting confused by detail.

Does this mean that "really film noir" is to be defined quite simply as ANY* black and white film shot WITH* heavy contrast IN* the USA BETWEEN* 1941 and 1962 (I presume you're talking Maltese Falcon to Cape Fear?) - and that's all there is to really film noir?

Well, I could certainly design a course called "Film 302" using those criteria, but I'd expect my captive audience to give me an argument about it.

Marianne

*Emphasis, Rene, not shouting! :-p