RARA-AVIS: Film Noir Style, Noir Content

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Feb 2003

Jim Doherty said:

>>...I'm not saying that every crime film since
1962, even the ones self-consciously using noir visual sytlistics, has been bad. Or even that they're not as good as "classic noir." All I'm saying is that they're not really film noir.<<

"Classic Noir" I like that. If we use it, clearly anything made today *cannot* be considered
"'Classic' Noir."

I think (after following all the arguments) that Jim is right "Film Noir" is a style that was used, described, and no longer used.

If somebody today would use all the techinques, black and white, rainy streets, dark corners, and shadows he might make a very good noir film. But not "Film Noir," but "post-classic noir."

Wasn't the last attempt at Classic Noir the parody with Steve Martin, "The Man in the Plaid Suit?"

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com Hollywood Mysteries of the Early Fifties