Re: RARA-AVIS: Gold Medal Month

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 24 Jul 2002

On 25 July 2002, abc@wt.net wrote:

: James Reasoner were talking about next month's reading, Gold Medal
: Books, and we thought that maybe every now and then (once a year?
: twice a year?) we could devote a month to a different publisher: Dell
: First Editions, Ace Doubles, Avon, etc. How about it, Bill?

It'd be great if we all had libraries like you two! Gold Medals are easy to find, and easy to see on shelves or in boxes or hidden behind Robert Ludlum novels. I bet most of us have fairly limited collections of Dells or Ace Doubles, and reading them in the original edition would be part of the fun. Most are probably long out of print so we couldn't find modern editions, either, and people overseas might have a tough time. But take the Ace Doubles, say: can you list some books that were first published in those editions? Or, as Mr. Ribic mentioned, we could do non-Gold Medal PBO of the decade ... maybe we could work up decade by decade, a month at a time, and see how the HB and noir books changed through the years.

Bill