Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Classics 1998

From: Peedie Monk ( peediemonk@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 03 Jun 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anderson, Erick (ETW)" < Erick.Anderson@Nike.com>
> 8:The Big Clock
> 8:You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up
> 8:The Talented Mr Ripley
> 8:The Chill
>
> Of these, would my fellow avians care to opine on which I should first
> pursue? Thanks for your help.

Haven't read "You Play the Black", but I will when I finally get my hands on a copy. With regard to the others: "The Big Clock" isn't noir/hardboiled and it defeats me what it's doing in this list. I found it tedious and, astonishingly, given the race against time element of the plot, completely lacking in tension. "The Talented Mr Ripley" is better & definitely noir. More psychology than action, so it depends what you like. I thought it paled in comparison to Vin Packer's "The Damnation of Adam Blessing." If you like Ross Macdonald you'll like "The Chill." If you haven't read Ross Macdonald, you'll find him rewarding as a writer as well as a reader.

Al Guthrie