Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled vs. noir

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Apr 2002

--- Frankie Lee < franklee@online.no> wrote:
> As a lurker at this list through most of the last 5
> years, I've noticed
> the different opinions of *hardboiled* and *noir*
> books. As far as I can
> see, most of you mix them up pretty well.

Someone (Jim D.?) offered what I thought was a pretty good definition of the difference between these two terms some months back. You could check the archives, or maybe he would be willing to post it again. I believe his post was intended only as an explanation of how the terms are used in the states, as I understand Europeans may have slightly differing views. But you'd have to ask him that. We certainly have enough folks on this list from around the world capable of addressing this question from differing viewpoints.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/