RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled vs. noir

From: Frankie Lee ( franklee@online.no)
Date: 20 Apr 2002

As a lurker at this list through most of the last 5 years, I've noticed the different opinions of *hardboiled* and *noir* books. As far as I can see, most of you mix them up pretty well. I think these two notions represent two very separate attitudes to life - and to literature. The protagonists of Chandler/Hammett cannot easily be compared to those of Goodis/Thompson/Woolrich. Their attitudes to life and fellow beings are so very different. Am I the only one with thoughts like this?

Frankie Lee