Re: RARA-AVIS: ICE HARVEST

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 22 Mar 2002

I agree. I've written (I hope not here) that the book's a long short story, to be read at one sitting, with an O. Henry ending. And the main character may have been more pickled than hardboiled. But I urge you to read it if you haven't. Joy

Ron Clinton < clinton65@worldnet.att.net> said: "I thought this book was a bit overrated, for the most part. While the characters were indeed quite intriguing and the ending had a terrific macabre touch, I felt the book meandered quite a bit into directionless and meaningless travelings by its main character and lacked a true narrative plot thrust. While even some of the finest noir works display this type of character-intense plotting
(Goodis comes to mind), they usually have a substantial plotting framework as well; THE ICE HARVEST lacked this framework, I felt.
    "Having said that, I (believe it or not) did enjoy the book. . . ."