RARA-AVIS: Hammett short stories

From: dgreene@odu.edu
Date: 18 Mar 2002

I believe that I have all the digest-sized paperbacks by Hammett, published by Spivakm(and one by Ferman) under varying imprints:

Dashiell Hammett. The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak (Bestseller Mystery B50), 1944.
      Contains 7 stories including 4 detective stories, 3 of which feature Sam Spade..

_____. The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories. Cleveland: World, 1945.
      Reprint with reset type of the Bestseller Mystery edition, but without the Queen introduction.

_____. They Can Only Hang You Once and Other Stories, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: The American Mercury, Lawrence E. Spivak (Mercury Mystery 131), c. 1944.
      A new edition (1949) with rearranged contents of The Adventures of Sam Spade.

_____. The Continental Op, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Bestseller Mystery B62), 1945.
      Contains 4 Continental Op detective stories.

_____. The Return of the Continental Op, introd. [and ed.] by Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak (Jonathan Press J17), 1945.
      Contains 5 Continental Op detective stories.

_____. Hammett Homicides, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Bestseller Mystery B81), 1946.
      Contains 6 stories, including 5 detective stories, all but one featuring the Continental Op.

_____. Dead Yellow Women, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Jonathan Press J29), 1947.
      Contains 4 Continental Op detective stories, one crime story and one riddle story.

_____. Nightmare Town, ed Ellery Queen. New York: The American Mercury, Lawrence E. Spivak, 1948.
      Contains 4 stories, 2 of which feature the Continental Op.

_____. The Creeping Siamese, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak (Jonathan Press J48), 1950.
      Contains 6 stories, 4 of which are detective; 3 feature the Continental Op and one Mr. Thin.

_____. Woman in the Dark, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Lawrence E. Spivak
(Jonathan Press J59), 1951.
      Contains 7 stories, including 3 detective stories featuring the Continental Op.

_____. A Man Named Thin and Other Stories, ed. Ellery Queen. New York: Joseph W. Ferman (Mercury Mystery 233), 1962.
      Contains 8 stories, 2 of which are detective; one features the Continental Op and one Mr. Thin.

I can send full contents, if anyone's interested.

Doug

Douglas G. Greene Professor of History Old Dominion University Norfolk, VA 23529-0091 Phone 757 683-3949