Re: RARA-AVIS: Ellroy versus Cave. Split decision goes to Cave.

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2002

> Rene said :
>
> Ellroy, who is well known for his contempt
> > >for rock music & musicians allegedly mercilessly lampooned Cave at
> one
> > >or more of his readings, the story getting back to Cave who was
> > >apparently devastated.

Hmmm

As with much else connected with the Demon Dog's public persona there's a lot of opportunism at work here.

The Cave story may well be true, but it is also definitely the case that talks were well advanced between Ellroy and former Bad Seed Barry Adamson for Adamson to produce an aural backdrop over which Ellroy would have read extracts from LA Confidential (for the same record label as produced the Derek Raymond/Gallon Drunk collaboration), The project got called off at the last moment after the record label boss told Ellroy he thought American Tabloid was a piece of shit.

BTW I can testify to Cave's love of noir - years ago I introduced Derek Raymond at a reading in London and Cave queued patiently to get Derek (i.e. Robin) to sign his books for him and then handed over a copy of And The Ass Saw The Angel

John