RARA-AVIS: Re: Ellroy versus Cave. Split decision goes to Cave

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2002

I dashed off

> > He shouldn't be. Pound for pound, (Cave)'s a better writer.

And Rene said

>Probably. I wasn't game to be the one to say it, though.

Nah, it takes some fool like me. But I do think it's true. Rene then went on to mention Cave's novel, THE ASS SAW THE ANGEL. Truth to tell, I wasn't even thinking of his book, just his songs, both his own and the ones he's rebuilt.

But bonus points for mentioning Lenny, Rene. In fact, given the often dour temperament of his songs, and his jagged blend of fragile hope and crippling despair, it's a wonder his songs aren't used more often in noirish films. If the romantic losers in James Cain's novels ever broke into song, it would be Leonard Cohen songs they'd sing.

And John Lau said :

> > Lou Reed would probably take exception to that.

But Lou Reed takes exception to everything.

--

Kevin
By the way, in the future, could you please address everything to kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com? -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .