Re: RARA-AVIS: Themes of the Months--Jose Latour

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 02 Jan 2002

On 1 January 2002, Mrriter@aol.com wrote:

: Jose Latour, the Cuban author of "Outcast," will be the guest author
: for the month of January and the theme of "Latino Noir and
: Hardboiled."

And he's a very welcome guest. Some people on the list will remember him from Toronto last year at the Bloody Words convention. He was on the panel I moderated and had some fascinating and powerful things to say about life and writing in Central and South America. Mr. Schooley summarized:

| Your panel also dealt with the social relevance of a form that does
| not provide uplifting moral messages. Latour's comments showed how the
| grim realities presented in noir provide social transparency,
| revealing how power and corruption work, and their consequences. Such
| transparency is essential to the human need for redemption. But to
| even imply in fiction there will be a change in the human condition is
| to be brutally dishonest.

Mr. Latour and OUTCAST, his one English novel, have been mentioned on the list a number of times, and people might want to search the archives by visiting

         http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/rasearch.cgi

and entering "latour" and turning on the "search the entire archive" option.

Mr. Ramos's reading list for this month is also in the archives, at

         http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200111/0256.html

I only knew of Mr. Latour and Paco Ignacio Taibo, but there are a bunch of other writers there I'll try to track down for this month--including Mr. Ramos himself.

Bill