Re: RARA-AVIS: Best films

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 12 Nov 2001

I'd drop Sexy Beast from the list. As good as Kingsley's performance was, it was one-note played incesantly; I guess I wanted more dynamics. And why was Ray What's His Name so essential to the caprer, all he did was jackhammer a hole in a wall and swim through it?

And I haven't seen the new Coen brothers film, yet, but I'd agree with the others (especially Time and Tides), plus Craig's additions of Deep End and Memento.

All of the recent talk about the Flitcraft story has gotten me thinking. It seems to me that tale sums up the noir mindset, that inability to change, that falling right back into the same patterns, whether or not the protagonist is aware of it. Most of Goodis feeds on that futility. And so does Ghost World. Does anyone really believe Enid's life is going to be any better or even different, no matter where she gets off that bus?

Mark