Re: RARA-AVIS: Practical tips from hardboiled dicks

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 06 Nov 2000

The epigraph for James Crumley's The Wrong Case advises not to sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own. He credits it to Lew Archer.

Archer did say that in one book (I'm not sure which), but he credited it to a wise man from Chicago.

That wise man was Nelson Algren. The full quote from his A Walk on the Wild Side is:

But blow wise to this, buddy, blow wise to this: Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own. Never let nobody talk you into shaking another man's jolt. And never you cop another man's plea. I've tried 'em all and I know. They don't work.

Mark