RE: RARA-AVIS: snotty comments about Chandler and detective fiction

From: billha@ionet.net
Date: 19 Jul 2000

Jay writes about high brow reactions to the fiction we love:

"It's the style of pundits to sneer, even in publications like the New York Times and The New Republic."

What I've noticed more is their ignoring or only minimally reviewing the quality crime writing. (Or perhaps true crime is now considered more in vogue.) I miss the days when an academic like Robin Winks would edit a whole section on mystery and crime writing in The New Republic.

Bill Hagen