RE: RARA-AVIS: Best Last Lines

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Jul 2000

Bill Hagen:

<<Perhaps this is a case of a writer's reading more widely than his fans?>>

Well, Erle Stanley Gardner was very prolific, and not everything he wrote is first-rate, but at his best he was dynamite. His pacing of a story is nearly always perfect, and his dialogue, superb. The plots were sometimes recycled, or indistinguishable, which is more or less the same thing.

I am very fond of his Cool-Lam series written as A.A. Fair. They are fast and exciting reads, with plenty of humor and great dialogue. His old stories from the pulps are also very interesting. They guy had a tremendous imagination in those days (some of the Ed Jenkins stories were reprinted by Carroll & Graf). If Gardner had continued in this vein, he could have become a Bellem. He certainly knew how to do the hardboiled "primitive" act.

We should talk more about Gardner. It seems that Perry Mason swallowed his reputation while filling his pockets. You can't have everything...

Regards,

MrT