Re: RARA-AVIS: It's a Small, Hard-Boiled World, After All... (was: Russian Killers)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 05 Jul 2000

I think Kevin's got a point about US publishers not wanting non-US settings. Even the heraled Jose Latour's Outcast is set more in Florida than in Cuba, is published by a small press and written in English. I haven't seen any of his Spahish books translated.

Even very good foreign, but English language hardboiled seldom gets published here. As Kevin pointed out, the US publication of Peter Corris is very hit and miss. Has Timlin ever been published in the States? All of my copies are Brit. And although many of the Mask Noir and Fresh Blood authors have made it onto US bookshelves, they come from publishers who operate on both sides of the Atlantic (Serpent's Tail) or in US distributed foreign editions (Do Not Press).

However, as far as Toronto goes, US audiences should be used to it, we see it all the time on TV and in movies. Of course, it's never called Toronto. It's usually standing in for New York.

Mark