RE: Translations [was RE: RARA-AVIS: The Russian Killers]

From: Anthony Dauer ( anthony.dauer@erols.com)
Date: 05 Jul 2000

Even as an American, I've read that one ... ;)

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Sullivan Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2000 1:32 PM

There's at least one Chinese hardboiled novel in translation, Playing for Thrills by Wang Shuo. Stephen King blurbed it as something like
"Chandler meets Bruce Lee," which kind of misrepresents it. For instance, there's no kung fu, whatsoever. It reminds me far more of Wong Kar Wai's slightly hallucinogenic takes on various genre. This book particularly reminded me of his Days of Being Wild. Like Wong's films it's sometimes hard to follow, not terribly linear, but told by a narrator intrguing enough to make him worth following. The subject matter overlaps Goodis territory, as the protagonist tries to piece together a "lost night."