Re: RARA-AVIS: The Robert Crais book

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 03 Jul 2000

I thoroughly enjoyed THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT when I first picked it up a few years ago. Found STALKING THE ANGEL not the same level. LULLABY TOWN was back on track. FREE FALL of lesser impact. Don't really remember how I felt about VOODOO RIVER. But the last 3, SUNSET EXPRESS, INDIGO SLAM AND L.A. REQUIEM are all outstanding. I think yeah, the guy's hit his stride. He's getting ambitious with his series, got an extremely well received stand-alone on the shelves now (and a fat movie deal to go along with it) and if any of you are fortunate enough to catch him on his book tour, you'll find him utterly captivating an individual.
  He's one of the guys I read who's act hasn't gotten stale on me yet, like say Carl Hiassen, Lawrence Shames, Eugene Izzi or even Elmore Leonard. On the contrary, I look forward to reading anything he writes.
  Aside from his glib prose style, Crais' strengths include a strong command of pacing and action, tools he honed from his television days. But IMHO, what makes him a good novelist is the dimension he brings to his peripheral characters.
  John Lau