Re: RARA-AVIS: The Robert Crais book

From: Mark Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 03 Jul 2000

Bill Denton:

> From what people have said here, his last couple of books are excellent.
> What happened between then and now? Did he keep getting better as a
> writer, and come up with better plots? Does the Cole/Pike pairing get
> fleshed out?

> Bill I think you will find everybody who has started a Cole/Pike book
either stops reading it and can't stand the book or loves it. It's pretty clear Cole and Pike are a West Coast version of Parker's Spenser and Hawk. I always thought Pike is one of those MAGNUM' FORCE's young vigilante motorcycle cops twenty years after. The books gradually get better. Finally, in the eighth of the series, the much darker LA REQUIEM, Crais breaks away from his model. He explores the relationship and Pike's origins I'm not sure if Pike's background rings true and we have debated Crais' choice of who he let live and killed off, but it is an excellent book which totally changes the series' tone. The the book ends with a more sober Elvis Cole questioning himself and his direction. You will have to read that to fully judge the series. Mark