Re: RARA-AVIS: Warped Movies (was Fredric Brown)

From: Mark Sullivan ( AnonymeInc@WEBTV.NET)
Date: 24 Jan 2000

As far as wack movies go, a good guide is Barry Gifford's book, The Devil Thumbs a Ride & Other Unforgettable Films. Entries written in the middle of the night after seeing or remembering what, pre-cable, pre-video saturation, used to be thought of as late show movies, the plot recreations are sometimes sloppy, often just a bit off on particulars, but his fandom carries through. Every movie I have seen on this book's recommendation was not well worth the time spent. And not too surprisingly, given Gifford's novels, he has a fascinating, slightly twisted taste. There are big movies, classic noirs, about which Gifford gives nice takes, but the real attraction is the almost forgotten Bs it led me to, like Shack Out on 101, The Devil Thumbs a Ride, the recently mentioned Detour and original Gun Crazy.

Mark