Re: RARA-AVIS: Help Finding Stories

From: Jim Beaver ( JUMBLEJIM@prodigy.net)
Date: 20 Jan 2000

> But Heston as Vargas and Leigh as the WASP wife were in place when Welles
> came aboard as director. Until Heston used his influence as star of the
> film, Welles was merely another actor in it, with no say over the casting
or
> the script. Heston got him the directing job. So it seems that Welles's
> participation in the writing of the script must have come AFTER the
> nationalities were switched.

A follow-up to my own post, above: by coincidence I'm reading Heston's autobiography at present, and last night I read the section on TOUCH OF EVIL. Heston makes clear that although he did indeed get Welles the directing position after Heston was cast in the lead, Welles did nevertheless completely re-write the script subsequently, and IN THE PROCESS OF DOING SO, changed Heston's character to a Harvard-educated son of wealthy Mexican parents, from the Anglo the character had been in the original novel and script.

Jim Beaver