Re: RARA-AVIS: Help Finding Stories

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 21 Jan 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Jim Beaver wrote:

> A follow-up to my own post, above: by coincidence I'm reading Heston's
> autobiography at present, and last night I read the section on TOUCH OF
> EVIL. Heston makes clear that although he did indeed get Welles the
> directing position after Heston was cast in the lead, Welles did
> nevertheless completely re-write the script subsequently, and IN THE PROCESS
> OF DOING SO, changed Heston's character to a Harvard-educated son of wealthy
> Mexican parents, from the Anglo the character had been in the original novel
> and script.

This is good to know. It would've been rather strange that Heston would himself chosen to act as a Mexican. But it was very brave of Heston that he got Welles the job, since Welles hadn't done anything in the US for at least a decade and his European works hadn't been commercially successful.

Juri jurnum@utu.fi