Re: RARA-AVIS: Sensitive detectives

Marcia Mulloy (mmulloy@eagle.ptialaska.net)
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 08:31:08 -0900

Jason Debly wrote:

> I am hard pressed to think of any successful writers who are writing in a real HB style. The
> only one I can think of in recent memory is "The Big Enchilada" by L.A. Morse. It was
> originally published in 1981 and about every ten years it enjoys a reprint. Currently it is out
> of print and at present is the closest work I can think of in tune with the genre as I perceive
> it.

De-lurking here to make mention of Martin Limon. I believe he has two novels to his credit now, the first being "Jade Lady Burning." I read this a few days ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very understated writing, deceptively calm on the surface, grabs you when you don't expect it. Finesse is one word that comes to mind. I think Limon has it and I think he qualifies as HB.

By the way, this is an excellent list. I joined to learn and I haven't been disappointed. Thanks to all.

Marcia Mulloy