RARA-AVIS: Re: savages/winslow

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2010

    David asked:
    > I'd be interested in what other listers thought on this point: which book would you select as a starting point for Winslow if the person had never read him?

    I think for anyone on this list, Power of the Dog is the perfect entree to Winslow. The first I remember hearing of Winslow was this RA post from Craig Larson in 2005: http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/archives/200506/0043.html and within the month I was a bona fide Winslow fan.

    For a more casual crime fiction reader, Dawn Patrol might make more sense as it is an easier read (I do not mean this as a slight at all for DP).

    This is a somewhat related anecdote: The Power of the Dog is so epic in scope, that when Frankie Machine was released not that many months later, I assumed it would be a breezy palate cleanser before he moved on to his next project. I took it with me on an eight-hour plane ride and quickly discovered it was anything but that.

    I can't say enough good things about these books.

    Chris