savages/winslow Re: RARA-AVIS: An Interesting Recent Read

From: sonny (sforstater@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Nov 2010

    cool. i never heard of thayer. in fact, i don't think i've ever heard of a male having the first name Tiffany.

    i'm familiar with chas fort and this book sounds good, although i would prefer a voice that wasn't breezy, i suspect. what would one call a non-breezy voice?

    speaking of voice, i'm still not sure what the fuck don winslow did with Savages and if i loved it, hated it or both.

    certainly i enjoyed the story and characters and would recommend it, but he really went for some kind of je ne sai quoi style. at times, i thought of ellroy. at times, ken bruen. i think it got in the way for me, at least sometimes. i realize he was speaking the lingo of socal and mexico and marijuana, but i guess i wasn't sure if he was showing off or was simply good and i didn't like the characters who thought and spoke that way.

    i'll still be reading whatever winslow writes, that's for sure.