RARA-AVIS: Re: recent reads etc

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2010

    Kevin wrote:
    > With empathy, imagination and research (and a dab of true grit), good > writers can fake experience and background, but the casual, almost
    > subconscious nuance of culture's really tricky.

    I am way late to the party, but I finally read Tom Rob Smith's CHILD 44 last week. Wow!

    I mention it here because it struck me as a heavily researched book, but I have read in multiple interviews that Smith did not set out to achieve that. I suspect that someone more familiar with Stalin-era Russia would agree, even as it was extremely informative for someone like me.

    Chris

    p.s. Can-ada?