RARA-AVIS: Re: recent reads etc

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2010

    James Reasoner wrote:

    > I agree, though, that Chase's attempts at Americanisms are pretty bad, and pretty funny, at times. I'm not sure he's that much worse than some American authors I've read who attempt to write British books.

    I'll split the difference and say that most Americans and Brits get Canada wrong. The Brits make us too American, and the Americans make us too British.

    Of, course French and English Canadians frequently get each other wrong, but that's what makes us Canadian. Thank God there's hockey.

    With empathy, imagination and research (and a dab of true grit), good writers can fake experience and background, but the casual, almost subconscious nuance of culture's really tricky.

    Kevin Burton Smith Editor/Founder The Thrilling Detective Web Site
    "Not dead yet...."