Re: RARA-AVIS: archie goodwin: torturer?

From: Mark R. Harris (brokerharris@gmail.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2010

    I've liked all of them so far, but my favorite to date is the last I read,
    "Over My Dead Body," which features good international intrigue and adds a personal dimension for Wolfe. "Too Many Cooks" is noteworthy for its anti-racism. "Some Buried Caesar" is interesting for taking place entirely outside Wolfe's famous brownstone, which actually made me feel a little homesick!

    It is unquestionably a great series of books, and Archie's narrating voice is a triumph of fictional style.

    Best, Patrick

    On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM, noblegasesuk <noblegasesuk@yahoo.com>wrote:

    > As I was reading the torture scene I was wondering how they handled it in
    > the TV adaptation, too.
    >
    > My favorite book so far has been "Some Buried Caesar," which introduces
    > Lilly Rowan, who is mentioned more than she actually appears (so far,
    > anyway).
    >
    > -- Tony
    >
    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com <rara-avis-l%40yahoogroups.com>, "Mark
    > R. Harris" <brokerharris@...> wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm reading the Wolfe canon in order, too, as it happens, but I am
    > farther
    > > back; I've finished the first seven novels up through "Over My Dead
    > Body,"
    > > so I'm nine novels and seven novella collections behind you.
    > >
    > > The Wikipedia entry on "The Golden Spiders" mentions that the scene you
    > > describe represents "a spate of violence that is very rare in the Wolfe
    > > series." Peaceable soul though I am, I suppose I can handle it if Archie
    > > goes all Mike Hammer once or twice in the corpus.
    > >
    > > I don't recall how this scene figured in the Timothy Hutton/Maury Chaykin
    > > version of "The Golden Spiders," a two-hour adaptation that was the pilot
    > > for the excellent A&E Wolfe series. All things considered, Hutton's and
    > > Stout's Archie is kind of who I would like to be, and I certainly try to
    > at
    > > least dress the part. I'm more of a French cuffs enthusiast than Archie,
    > but
    > > we're both pocket square and fedora guys. (The emphasis on Archie's
    > wardrobe
    > > in the television series is true to the novels, where Archie often talks
    > of
    > > his and other men's clothing. Hutton's Archie is a bit more eye-popping
    > with
    > > his bright summer colors and spectator shoes.)
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > Patrick Murtha
    > >
    > > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:50 PM, noblegasesuk <noblegasesuk@...> wrote:
    > >

    > > > I'm working my way through the Nero Wolfe canon and I've just finished
    > "The
    > > > Golden Spiders" and I'm pretty horrified that Archie resorts to torture
    > of
    > > > an informant.
    > > >
    > > > I'm trying to read the canon in chronological order but I have read a
    > > > couple of books that follow "The Golden Spiders" and the Archie they
    > > > presented wasn't nearly as hard-boiled as this one.
    > > >
    > > > The question: does Archie torture anyone else in the canon?
    > > >
    > > > -- Tony
    > > >

    > > --
    > > Mark R. Harris
    > > BCM Language Center