RARA-AVIS: Noir pretty well encapsulated

From: Todd Mason (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

    > Ron Clinton quoted from David Corbetts essay:
    >
    > > " Noir is precisely about men and women whose misfortune is
    > > brought about
    > > through avarice or depravity. It's a subgenre of
    > > tragedy, in which the error
    > > of judgment is the belief, often born of desperation, that
    > > a criminal act
    > > can redeem one's pitiless luck."

    > I would contend that the last that last sentence is the best and most concisely accurate definition definition of noir that I've seen here or anyplace else.

    At last, the question is settled *chuckling*. I missed the Tweeted exchange, but laughed at least as hard as anyone, not know of the previous situation, when someone trying to lift some memorial gloom at a later NoirCon panel asked from the audience, 'So, what's the definition of "noir," anyway?'

    Todd Mason