RE: RARA-AVIS: Best definition of noir?

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 06 Nov 2010

    Definitely hardboiled!

    I contend that the best definition I've heard for some time -- perhaps the best I've yet heard -- is from David Corbett's recent essay where he wrote,
    " Noir is precisely about men and women whose misfortune is brought about through “vice or depravity.” It’s a subgenre of tragedy, in which the error of judgment is the belief, often born of desperation, that a criminal act can redeem one’s pitiless luck."

    That last sentence encapsulates exactly how I envision noir and, as someone else on this list mentioned, it's a heckuva lot richer (and accurate) than
    "noir = screwed."

    Ron C.