RARA-AVIS: Re: The Falcon makes Fringe

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Nov 2010

    Rick,

    Re your comment below:

    "I can't find any historical indication that [Cary] Grant was considered for the Bogart role [in THE MALTESE FALCON], but I could possibly see it, if only because he has a lot of similar qualities to Ricardo Cortez, who had played the role several years earlier. Hard to imagine the John Huston version without Bogie, but stranger things have happened in Hollywood."

    He wasn't.  However, Bogart was the studio's (if not Huston's) second choice.  Their first choice was George Raft.

    But, while Grant wasn't considered for the part of Spade, Raymond Chandler, in a letter from he wrote to a friend, stated that, at least visually, Grant was the actor who came closest to Chandler's picture of Philip Marlowe.  Maybe that's what inspired the reference.

    BTW, I know I haven't been particularly active, lately.  But I've been so busy I've had time to do little but lurk.

    I'll try to contribute more.  Just to set minds at rest, no one here, and certainly not my good bud KBS, has "driven" me from the list.

    JIM DOHERTY