Re: RARA-AVIS: NoirCon coverage on Philly radio...

From: J.C. Hocking (jchocking@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2010

    Mr. Randisi, I co-edited Akashic's Detroit Noir and recieved no such instructions.  We explictly sought out a number of mystery/crime authors.  Among them, Loren Estleman, Craig Holden, P.J. Parrish, Megan Abbott and Elmore Leonard.  Mr. Leonard offered us an excerpt from any of his novels, but we needed a new story, which left us in the painful position of leaving him out of Detroit Noir, but all the others produced stories that appeared in the book.  Estleman's was nominated for the Shamus Award.

    I know the Akashic collections are not for all tastes, but I hope you won't dismiss them out of hand.

    John Hocking

    ________________________________ From: "rrandisi@sbcglobal.net" <rrandisi@sbcglobal.net> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Fri, November 5, 2010 2:29:22 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: NoirCon coverage on Philly radio...

      The problem with the Akashic collections, and the reason I don't like them, is that the publisher specifically tells the editors they don't want mystery writers. They asked someone here in St. Louis to do one, and for that reason he rejected the offer.

    RJR