Re: RARA-AVIS: NoirCon coverage on Philly radio...

From: Todd Mason (foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2010

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, sonny <sforstater@...> wrote:

    > wow, i certainly hope so too. a noir collection edited by someone who doesn't care for noir much? and picking 'young' writers is fine, but even the use of 'literary' is concerning.

    --or at least condescending. Well, I heard it right, and Peter Crimmins in my limited experience of his work has been a fairly reliable reporter, so it's probably another Romano triumph:

    Through a city, darkly Tuesday, November 2nd, 2010 By: Peter Crimmins

    [skip ahead to last passage:] Romano, who says he has never been a big fan of noir, said he mixed up the city's experienced crime writers with young literary writers. His own stab at noir finds grist in a West Philly real estate transaction.

    http://whyy.org/cms/news/regional-news/2010/11/02/through-a-city-darkly/50064

    ...and that mix: TABLE OF CONTENTS

    Introduction

    PART I: CITY OF BURSTS
    "Princess" by AIMEE LABRIE (South Philadelphia)
    "Scarred" by SOLOMON JONES (Strawberry Mansion)
    "Secret Pool" ASALI SOLOMON (West Philadelphia)
    "Devil's Pocket" KEITH GILMAN (Grays Ferry)

    PART II: CITY OF OTHERLY LOVE
    "Above the Imperial" DENNIS TAFOYA (East Falls)
    "A Cut Above" LAURA SPAGNOLI (Rittenhouse Square)
    "Swimming" HALIMAH MARCUS (Narberth)

    PART III: THE FAKER CITY
    "Fishtown Odyssey" MEREDITH ANTHONY (Fishtown)
    "Your Brother, Who Loves You" JIM ZERVANOS (Fairmount)
    "Cannot Easy Normal Die" CARLIN ROMANO (University City)
    "Seeing Nothing" DIANE AYRES (Bella Vista)

    PART IV: THOSE WHO FORGET THE PAST . . .
    "Lonergan's Girl" DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI (Frankford)
    "Reality" CORDELIA FRANCES BIDDLE (Old City)
    "The Ratcatcher" GERALD KOLPAN (South Street)
    "Ghost Walk" CARY HOLLADAY (Chestnut Hill)

    Todd Mason