RARA-AVIS: Implausibility and detective

From: Juri Nummelin (juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 18 Oct 2010

    Fred:

    I won't go into the implausibility discussion (I don't have the time; I do know I started the whole thing), but I want to say that I've often felt that crime fiction that's in the vein of Gil Brewer, James M. Cain, Jason Starr and Allan Guthrie is more plausible, since there are no detectives solving crimes.

    As for the concept itself, I think we must differ it from realistic. Fantasy can be plausible, even sword & sorcery can be plausible. But explaining this might take too much of my time, as I'm not even sure whether the English word "implausible" means exactly the same thing as I want to say in Finnish.
    (Which is my mother tongue, I'm sure not all people on the list know that.)

    Okay, back to work.

    Juri