Re: RARA-AVIS: Implausibility

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2010

    Remember the Christie story in which Poirot, after a long, involved investigation discovers the murderer because her knees were mature and she was trying to pass herself off as schoolgirl? CAT AMONG THE PIGEONS, wasn't it? Now, a woman lying about her age is not proof of murder. It is not evidence of murder. Go to a DA with information like that and they won't even bring her in for questioning, much less sign an arrest warrant. That, to me, is implausible. And Christie is guilty of it a lot. As are Rinehart, Queen, Gardner, the list goes on.

    Now I do think the solution to THE THIN MAN is a little outlandish. Carmen Sternwood, in THE BIG SLEEP, is a well-established psychotic before we ever learn what she did with Sean Regan, but how she got his 6' body into the well has always troubled me. These are little things. I can forgive them. But Werewolf panty sniffing serial killers implausible? They're ripped from the headlines. Ever hear of Richard Ramirez, The Night Salker? or Harvy Glatman, or Richard Chase the FBI's vampire? Implausible, yes! But they happen in real life. Nobody ever was convicted of murder because of the lack of dimples on her knees.

    Patrick King