RARA-AVIS: Re: Lionel White

From: hardcasecrime (editor@hardcasecrime.com)
Date: 14 Oct 2010

    Reputation? White is considered by some to be the originator of the caper/heist novel, or at least one of its leading practitioners. He wrote one truly oustanding book, CLEAN BREAK, which was the basis for the Kubrick movie "The Killing." All his other books that I've read are lesser, and almost all are marred by the presence of low-grade racism and White's peculiar love of rape scenes clearly written with the intention of titillating the reader. (Worst of all when the two combine, with a hulking Mexican rapist, etc.)

    My personal opinion is that he was a B-to-B+ paperback writer, better than average but well below the level (in terms of originality, impact, and quality) of a Goodis or a Woolrich, never mind a Chandler, Hammett or Cain.

    Charles

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "susanlester102" <hedyjwhite@...> wrote:

    > I would appreciate any information about the reputation of Lionel
    White (1905-1985).