RARA-AVIS: Re: Early Ellroy

From: acoe170 (acoe170@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Oct 2010

    About 1983 or so, I was a lowly employee at Viking Publishing, assigned to the slush pile among other tasks. One of the manuscripts that I read was what became Brown's Requiem, I think. I still remember the vivid ultra-violence of the Watts Riot set piece. I wondered what kind of sick mind would write that. Now of course we all know. I recommended not publishing it, and he obviously found a more daring house to take it on (I seem to remember that Otto Penzler was involved). I could have had regrets, but I soon thereafter decided that publishing wasn't for me.