RE: RARA-AVIS: Still on early Ellroy

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 12 Oct 2010

    When I reference my vast preference for early Ellroy over later Ellroy, I'm utilizing a totally arbitrary, personal cutoff, one that, in fact, divides the L.A. Quartet. Along with the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy and his most of his other early works (BROWN'S REQUIEM and SILENT TERROR...didn't really care for CLANDESTINE), I very much enjoyed THE BIG NOWHERE, L.A. CONFIDENTIAL and THE BLACK DAHLIA, but parted ways with him w/ '92's WHITE JAZZ, the fourth of the Quartet. Half-hearted attempts with his subsequent UNDERWORLD trilogy (AMERICAN TABLOID, et al) affirmed my disinclination to continue trying to read his work.

    Ron C.

    Quartet. The main
    > difference seems to me that Ellroy replaced the half-crazed Hopkins with
    the
    > wholly-crazed and even more compromised protagonists of the later books..
    Other