Re: RARA-AVIS: Still on early Ellroy

From: James Michael Rogers (jeddak5@cox.net)
Date: 12 Oct 2010

    I don't think the Hopkins books are all that different from the LA Quartet. The main difference seems to me that Ellroy replaced the half-crazed Hopkins with the wholly-crazed and even more compromised protagonists of the later books.. Other than that the books seem to share the same strengths (narrative drive, a really natural style, a very disturbing sensibility) and the same weaknesses (implausible plotting, ridiculous Grand Guignol violence, a sometimes cartoony and self-conscious darkness). Obviously, I like the Ellroy books but I can see how they could leave some folks cold.

    James