RARA-AVIS: Still on early Ellroy

From: Juri Nummelin (juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 12 Oct 2010

    Patrick:

    I think BROWN'S REQUIEM is an okay book, but it's too deep in the clichés and stereotypes of the typical private eye novel, even though there are some moments in which Ellroy tries to go for something new. As for KILLER ON THE ROAD, I'm sorry to say I haven't read it.

    I was thinking mainly about the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy. Some of the books are better, but - the titles escape me and I can't bother to look them up - there's always the feeling Ellroy just wanted to go over the top. I don't the same feeling from the LA Quartet, even though the books are full with grizzly and grotesque stuff.

    I can't go into the discussion over implausibility in crime fiction. Suffice to say: I know it when I see one.

    Juri